It is said, “eat an apple a day, to keep the doctor away.” It’s true! The food we eat gives our bodies what they need to function properly. If we don’t get what we need our health declines. Good nutrition is central to our health. “The science and art dealing with the maintenance of health and the prevention, alleviation, or cure of disease.” – taken straight from Webster’s definition of medicine!
Do not underestimate the power of good nutrition when it comes to the immune system. The right foods are medicine. Eating healthy foods can help you fight colds and feel better. When you are feeling under the weather, healthy eating is extremely important. Consider these foods to eat when you have a cold:
1. Fish – salmon, tuna and mackerel are rich with compounds that help reduce inflammation.
2. Garlic has been considered a medical herb for centuries. It helps stimulate immune system, and also contains allicin – a sulfuric compound that produces antioxidants when it decomposes.
3. Tea acts as a natural decongestant by clearing the sinuses of mucus. Not only does tea help to keep your sinuses clear, it also keeps you hydrated.
4. Broths are chalked full of flavor and contains vitamins and minerals that will help to get you better quicker.
5. Honey has a high content of antimicrobial compounds. It can even stimulate the immune system.
If you’re not feeling well, come and see us. We’re experts in Designed Clinical Nutrition. We can help you discover which foods your body needs to return to good health.