NO SUGAR ADDED to this Easy Apple Butter Recipe! There is no way of messing up this recipe PLUS it's freezer friendly too! Make this beautiful Apple Butter in the fall and enjoy it all year round for spreading on yummy sour dough bread, add it to your favorite zucchini muffin recipe, or add it to a chicken or pork slow cooker meal. Apple Butter is a very transversal item and after making it you will realize how did you ever live without it!
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 8 Hours
Total Time: 8 Hours 30 Minutes
- Fill your slow cooker with enough apples to barley close the lid. You can use multiple varieties or just one of your favorites for this recipe.
- 2-3 tsp of ground cinnamon
- Begin with washing all of your apples you plan on using. Make sure to leave the skin on, this adds great fiber.
- After washing, dry and start to core them. Once cored, cut the apples into halves or quarters depending on the size apple you picked or bought from the store.
- Place all of the cored and sliced apples into your slow cooker and turn your slow cooker on low for 6 hours. Remember to stir 1-2 times every hour.
- Once it's been about 6 hours place the cooked down apples into a blender and blend until creamy. You can also use a hand blender like used in the pictures below. BE CAREFUL THE APPLES ARE VERY HOT!
- Add the creamy apple mixture back into the slow cooker and stir the cinnamon in as well.
- This time put the slow cooker on low for 2 more hours. Remember to stir 1-2 times every hour.
- Let cool to room temperature before transferring into jars and either place in the refrigerator for 5 weeks or store in the freezer to use on a later date.
Be sure to wash your apples thoroughly. Apples are ranked #4 on the dirty dozen list in 2020. That being said, buying organic apples whenever possible is the best choice on top of cleaning them. Running apples under water is not enough to clean all the scum off them. For the best out come create a water bath with your favorite toxic free fruit and veggie cleaner and soak the apples for 12-15 minutes.
Next step is drying the apples. When draining the water bath from the previous step, rinse under cold water and place on a drying towel. Individually dry each apple, this makes it easier for a clean cut for the next step and prevents any cutting accidents from slippery apples.
After the apples are dried cut the apples into fourths. Make sure to not include any of the core or seeds. Next place them into the slow cooker all the way up to the rim, make sure you are still able to place a lid on though. Next, turn on low for 6 hours while stirring 1-2 times every hour.
At this time the apple mixture is very hot, creamy, and still has some apple chunks. Around 6 hours its time to blend the apple mixture. You can either use a regular blender and transfer the apple mixture to and from. You could also use a hand blender like the one pictured. Blend till the apple mixture is completely smooth.
Finally stir in 2-3 teaspoons of cinnamon. Place the slow cooker back on low for 2 more hours stirring 1-2 times each hour.
Allow the apple butter to cool before transferring into jars. Apple butter will last in the refrigerator up to 5 weeks or last even longer if stored in the freezer.
EMPOWERING YOU TO CHANGE YOUR APPROACH TO HEALTH CARE
The information provided on this site is for informational purposes only and is not intended as a substitute for advice from your physician or other healthcare professional. This information is not medical advice. The articles and essays are for educational purposes and are based upon the opinions of the authors, who retain the copyright to this information. You should not use the information on this site for diagnosis or treatment of any health problem or for prescription of any medication or other treatment. You should consult with a healthcare professional before starting any diet, exercise, or supplementation program, before taking any medication, or if you have or suspect you might have a health problem. If you want to use any information contained on this website you must first get permission in writing.